Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Lookout

Yesterday I proved how much I love Dan. I hiked up a mountain. I hate to sweat. I hate exercise. I hiked up a mountain and it was HOT and humid and I did not enjoy that part. Dan enjoyed all of it.


(This is the "Veronica does not like to sweat" face.)

HOWEVER, I did enjoy the scenery and watching the different types of plants and trees change as we hiked up the trail. There was everything from little maples, to pine trees, to a big meadow full of pitcher plants up at the top. The view from the top was stupendous, a vista stretching from the Tablelands, all the way over to the Gulf of St Lawrence. It was gorgeous!!! Well worth the hot sweaty exertion on the way up ;) We stayed at the top for a while chatting with a couple who had grown up here but now live in Winnipeg, and a local amateur photographer who gave us some trips on other trails to try out. We've met so many nice people along our journey, it's nice to reflect back on them all and have such great memories of people who are just a few minutes of our lives, but part of a time I'm sure we'll never forget.


(A panoramic of the view from the top)


(We made it!!!)



On our way back down, we almost literally bumped into a moose! We heard a crashing in the bush near us, and not 10 feet away was a young bull moose! CRAZY!!!




(Filling up our water jug with fresh mountain spring water. Yum!!!)

6 comments:

  1. Glad you're having a great time. Just be glad it wasn't a bear crashing around in the woods. You're pictures are beautiful & I can hardly wait to see them all. Hope the weather stays nice for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!!! I think this thing will finally let me post a comment!!! YAY!!!

    So far you've only missed 2 days of nice, sunny weather here. Hope you've got it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so enjoying this blog and all of the photos you guys are sharing! This looks like it has been an amazing trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathe, I can't believe how many photos we have. We're up to over 1000 now!!! Agh!!!! I'll thin them out before I show them to you when I get back, promise!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so proud of you, Veronica! Kayaking, camping, and hiking up mountains (I've been up that particular mountain too, and it's no easy feat!) From now on, you are dubbed "Adventure Grrrl".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww I've made Stacey proud! That makes me happy! You should also be proud of me sitting in my pjs enjoying room service in Halifax right now, LOL! Tomorrow I plan on finding a place to get a mani/pedi to fix my broken nails and callused feet!!! You can only keep me in the outback for so long ;)

    ReplyDelete